[INFOGRAPHIC] 5 Key Principles of Lean Manufacturing or Lean Thinking
This infographic illustrates the five key principles of lean manufacturing, also known as “lean thinking”. The concepts are broken down as follows:
1) Utilize the Voice of the Customer (VOC) tool to specify what is important to your customer. Use either direct contact or indirect contact with those customers.
- Direct Contact: Interviews, surveys, focus groups or point of use observations
- Indirect contact: Market trends, industry experts, market share changes
2) A value stream map will identify every step of the process from start to finish; every step performed in a process has to add value, or it is deleted. These maps give you a bird’s eye view.
- Establish the product group
- Establish the current flow
- Observe and confirm processes
- Map it out (create the stream value map)
- Create the implementation plan
3) You can make the processes flow without interruption by removing any steps that do not add value. That is the genius of these charts; it makes viewing the processes easy so that you can delete or add a much needed step that would also add value.
4) Let the customer pull value from the product. The ideal process is one where every step is:
- Valuable and the customer is willing to pay for it
- Is capable of creating a superior product consistently
5) Make sure the steps in the processes:
- Add value
- Are free of variations
- Practice constant improvements
So that perfection is achieved!
SixSigma.us offers both Live Virtual classes as well as Online Self-Paced training. Most option includes access to the same great Master Black Belt instructors that teach our World Class in-person sessions. Sign-up today!
Virtual Classroom Training Programs Self-Paced Online Training Programs